Congrats grads! Graduation is right around the corner, and before you know it you’ll be throwing your caps into the air alongside your fellow graduates! But before you can start celebrating all the hard work and effort you put into reaching such a huge milestone, you need to make sure you’re prepared. Most students worry about how to prepare for life post-graduation, but what about all the preparation leading up to graduation day? Here is a checklist of all the things you’ll want to have covered prior to swooping across the stage at commencement!
- Meet with your academic advisor- If you think you are nearing the end of your major requirements, make an appointment with you advisor to make sure you are on the right track. They will be able to provide you with vital information about how close you are to your graduation requirements and what steps you should take to guarantee that you will graduate on time.
- Apply for graduation- Once you have met with your advisor and have been given the okay, go ahead and apply for graduation. Applications for graduation are available through your academic advisor or online through the Student Self-Service tab on your myWings account. Your application has to be approved by not only your advisor, but other parties as well, so the sooner you apply the sooner you will receive notice on whether you meet the requirements or not. The deadline to apply for Spring 2017 commencement is March 2.
- Check your email- You will be notified via email whether you have been approved for graduation or not. The application process does take time, so be sure to check your email every day! If you have any concerns while waiting on your approval you can meet with your academic advisor.
- Successfully complete all courses in which you are currently enrolled- Just because you received the email saying that you are certified for graduation, it’s not quite time to start celebrating. You will be pre-certified for graduation, meaning that you are approved to graduate pending the successful completion of your final semester. You’re almost there so don’t give up!
- Confirm the address where you want your diploma mailed- Upon receiving your approval email from the registrar’s office, you will be asked to confirm the mailing address where you want your diploma mailed. You will not be receiving your diploma when you walk across the stage the day of commencement, but rather in the mail. Be sure that the mailing address on file is correct to ensure that you receive your diploma in a timely manner.
- Order your cap and gown and guest tickets– You will need to place an order for the cap and gown that you will be wearing on commencement day. In addition, you will also need to order guest tickets for the friends and family that will be attending your graduation. The earlier that you do this the better. There are a limited number of guest tickets each student is allowed to request each semester. If you need more tickets than is allowed, you can enter into a lottery for extra guest tickets. Please only request the number of tickets you need to ensure everyone’s family and friends can attend.
- Send out invitations- Now that you have ordered your guest tickets, it’s time to let your friends and family know that they are invited to your big day! Send out invitations as soon as you have confirmation about the number of tickets you will be receiving so that your guests will have ample time to make any travel arrangements and to RSVP.
- Clear all holds on your account- If you have any holds or financial obligations to the University, make sure that you have cleared them prior to the day of the graduation ceremony. Having holds on your student account could keep you from being able to walk and/or receive your diploma.
- Pick up your graduation materials- Now that you’ve ordered your cap, gown and tickets, you just have to remember to pick them up! Mark it in your agenda or phone so that you don’t forget. This is the easy part!
- Update your resume- You did it! You’ve completed all your courses and the steps toward graduation. You are now the proud recipient of a bachelor’s degree and it’s time to let everyone else know! Update your resume with the experience that you’ve received while in school and add that you have also received your degree. If you need any assistance with this step, you can visit career services for help updating your resume and other career-related materials.
Graduating from college is a huge accomplishment, and we at the University of North Florida want to make sure that the semester leading up to your big day runs as smoothly as possible. Follow this guide to help keep track of important dates and events. You can also visit UNF website’s commencement page for additional information and answers to frequently asked questions. On behalf of everyone at UNF we would like to say congratulations and go Ospreys!