One of the many resources that UNF offers is the LGBT Center. The LGBT Center provides a safe space on campus for the LGBT community and it’s allies. Kaitlin Legg, Assistant Director, and Jake Moore, Program Director, hosted our latest webinar to give us some more information about what the LGBT center has to offer.
UNF is the only Florida school to rank in the top 50 of College Choice’s Best LGBT Friendly Colleges and Universities of 2016.
So, what makes UNF so LGBT friendly?
- It is one of only two universities in Florida with a professionally staffed LGBT Resource Center with it’s own drop-in space.
- We offer gender-neutral restrooms throughout campus, as well as a gender-neutral locker room in the Student Wellness Complex.
- We also offer gender-inclusive housing. This allows you to live with a roommate regardless of gender identity. All of our residence halls are friendly, but when you opt for gender-inclusive housing, you are sure to be paired with people who understand you.
- There are several academic courses that address gender and sexuality; plus there are plenty of LGBT and ally faculty and staff working on campus.
- The LGBT Center offers Safe Space training to staff and faculty to properly educate and certify them about the LGBT community.
- The LGBT Center helps connect UNF students to advocacy, activism and employment opportunities within the community.
The LGBT Center is located in the Student Union. It includes lounge and meeting areas, complete with tables and chairs, computers and comfy couches to nap on! There is a resource library filled with over 500 fiction and nonfiction books and movies about the LGBT community. The center is decorated with Queer and Ally art, helping to spruce up the space and support the local art community! If you are an artist, you can have your own show at the LGBT center.
Aside from just having a friendly place to hang out or do your homework, the LGBT Center offers plenty of support and resources.
- Advice and planning for coming out
- Self-advocating skills
- Support and social groups
- Community and friendship
- One-on-one and group advising
- Workshops and training sessions
- Speakers Bureau panel presentations
- Mentoring program
There are also a ton of events that help spread celebration and awareness that you can be apart of.
- Laugh Out Comedy Show
- Coming Out Day
- Transgender Day of Remembrance
- Intersex Awareness
- Bisexual Health Month
- Asexual Awareness
- Aromantic Awareness
- Out in the Workplace
- National and Local Speakers
- Family Hangouts
- Lavender Graduation
The LGBT Resource Center is open Monday through Thursday 9am-8pm and Friday 9am-5pm during the Spring and Fall semesters. During the summer semester, they have adjusted hours. And in order to get involved all you have to do is show up! There are also options to be a paid student worker in the LGBT center; reach out to Kaitlin or Jake for more information about that.
If you have any further questions about the LGBT Resource Center, LGBT events, gender-inclusive housing or anything else, please email Kaitlin or Jake.
If you want to watch the full webinar, just click here!