Written By: Zahni Thuzar
Osprey Productions is just one of the many clubs that UNF has to offer. More than just a club, Osprey Productions, or OP, is actually an agency of student government.
OP is a great way to get really involved in the behind the scenes of school events; the group puts on the majority of the events on campus. All of the events are free for students and usually give out free giveaways and food as well.
The events that OP puts on range anywhere from :
- Pre-release movies such as:
- The Hangover: Part 2
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Battle of the Bands
- Open Mic Nights
- Trivia Nights
- Root Beer Pong
- Coffee House Acoustic Sets
- Karaoke Nights
- A tent/table at Market Days
- And also all of the major events which have included:
- MTVU Campus Invasion Tour (which featured 6 bands)
- Osprey Tailgate Classic featuring Sky Blu of LMFAO
- Rocky Horror Picture Show Live
Everyone involved in OP is able to help out at all of these events and gets a more in-depth look at what goes into the making of these events and how things run.
Joining Osprey Productions is really easy. All you do is go to www.unf.edu/ospreyproductions and then click on the ‘join’ tab and fill out the application. After that, you get what’s called a “POP’s” badge. A “POP” is a Pre-Osprey Productions member. To complete your badge, you must attend two meetings and help with four weekly events and one major event.
The meetings include the general Osprey Productions meetings and also the separate committee meetings. There are five different committees within OP:
- Playlist [which works with all of the music events such as smaller concerts, acoustic shows, battle of the bands, etc.]
- Stage & Screen [which works with all of the movies and stage shows such as the pre-release movies, Rocky Horror, “dive-in” movies, etc.}
- Soap Box Ed [which works on events such as open mic nights, poetry events, lectures, various other spoken word performances, etc.]
- Shenanigans [which is responsible for all of the random, different events and activities on campus such as root beer pong, trivia night, laser tag, etc.]
- Public Relations [this committee is in charge of all of the advertising for OP such as Market Days, etc.]
Osprey Productions is student –run and we all interact and deal with professional companies, agencies, etc.
Being in Osprey Productions myself, I feel like it is one of the best things I have done in college. I have learned so much and made so many new friends. It’s a very fun and rewarding experience. If you want a career in entertainment or event planning, this is definitely an agency to consider. Everyone is so nice and welcoming and there’s never a dull moment. It’s a very comfortable atmosphere for everyone to be himself or herself and have fun, but when it comes to being professional, Osprey Productions is very serious about sticking to business and making sure that everything runs smoothly and successfully.